Monday, January 4, 2010

Frills galore; giant shoulder pads; and skin tight pants

I went shopping on Sunday, desperate to find a pair of classic, long, black pants and a classic white, long sleeve shirt (both for work). It was so difficult to find anything like that! It was frills galore, sparkle galore, giant shoulder pads, lycra black pants or tight fitting cotton/lycra pants with giant buttons or waaaayy too many buttons.

What is going on?! I get it, it's the trend now. The 80's are back. Bring on the shoulder pads, the extra frills, the sparkles and sequins, the ridiculously tight pants and lycra pedal pushers. But that's just trend. Trendy things should never make up majority of the market. Classics should always remain, classics should always be the majority of the market.

Trends are something you wear, take a picture, and look back at the picture 10 years down and think "Wow! That sure was a different time."

I can't possibly be filling up my closet with trendy clothes like shoulder padded dresses, sequined or frilly tops. Sure I could have 3 or 4 of them, not more. It's ridiculous that if I want to buy a pair of black jeans or pants now a days, they're "skinny". Don't get me wrong, I'm not fat. I'm actually a size UK 8.

BRING BACK THOSE CLASSICS PLEASE! I know they're out there, but they've become increasingly difficult to find. I've honestly had enough of dresses that look like they've been cut out of table cloths, over-frilling, shoulder pads on every other top or dress, skin tight pants or dresses that look like stuff my grandma used to wear when she was in her 20s.

Credits: white frill top (http://www.fashionchicks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/fashionchicks.co.uk/2007/11/paulandjoeblouse.jpg) , dresses (http://www.americanchic.net/blog_images/balmain_runway_dresses.jpg), black pants (http://www.sweetspot.ca/uploaded_images/F09_Fashion_PinkTartanPants1.jpg), grandma dress (https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg5IeYq_GlVY8M5wE7DV_AuL0JbNc8DMZgOEN6s8Ddph4P9uuG7QNsov8xWwg3WJous975fTsC9V2MtJMk5XEvjtY_ZMBc6C2PmIxBzNZB_9ic_JaWta9RCuJYPEdaF4DVoDQOKvz_dXKI/s400/purple+grandma+dress+2.JPG)


No comments:

Post a Comment